About Me

Decent wife. Good Enough Mom. (I think, but you’d have to ask my kids.) Sporadic blogger. Crazy person. Chaos Manager. Finder of stray socks and missing shoes. Loves to cook, wishes it wasn’t demanded of her daily. Runs on caffeine.

Monday, March 19, 2018

First Day of Spring??? (And Freebies at the End)

Tomorrow is the first day of spring. And we are supposed to be getting some kind of Nor’Easter, winter weather snow storm. Seeing as how there have been several times this winter where we were predicted to get significant snow and we didn’t, I am not getting my hopes up or getting overly worked up. Although it would be nice to have some snow to sled and play in to get me out of my current funk. See yesterday’s post for that quick recap. But yeah. Snow. On the first day of spring. It wouldn’t be the first time in recent memory.

Actually, 3 years ago I had a meeting with my realtor/friend at a cute little cafe in a historic part of my old town. I remember clearly that it was the first day of spring and freezing cold, with wind and a snow/ice mixture falling from the sky sideways and leaving a slushy mess on the roads. I remember I was miserable because I had a horrendously bad cold and was so congested and my ears were plugged. I couldn’t take anything because I had just found out I was pregnant with baby boy, and I was kind of puffy and bloated so my clothes didn’t feel quite comfortable and right. I wanted to cancel this lunch but we had rescheduled a couple times previously and needed to meet to discuss a strategy for house hunting that would soon commence, as well as just catch up. I had Toddler boy with me who was 14 months old. Cute as this cafe was, it wasn’t a great choice for a toddler, either in menu or in atmosphere (artisian sandwiches, and tables close together/shared spaces.) I didn’t pick it and so was trying to go with the flow. I ended up having to hold Toddler boy on my lap, as we couldn’t locate a high chair and I wasn’t keen on schlepping through business people during their working lunch hour with a toddler on my hip trying to figure out if they had high chairs. (They did, we saw as we were leaving. From the second floor dining area) Neither I not Toddler boy ended up eating much due to the cramped situation and the fact that I just couldn’t taste anything, and I probably looked like a low-functioning human as well. I did buy some amazing carrot cake muffins on my way out, for like $20 for 6.

So, first day of spring. Rita’s Italian Ice is giving away a free small ice tomorrow from 12-9, and Dairy Queen is having free cone Day as well to celebrate if you have either (or both!) of those near you. We do, and will be visiting both tomorrow, even if it’s in the snow! If you do, enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment