About Me

Decent wife. Good Enough Mom. (I think, but you’d have to ask my kids.) Sporadic blogger. Crazy person. Chaos Manager. Finder of stray socks and missing shoes. Loves to cook, wishes it wasn’t demanded of her daily. Runs on caffeine.

Monday, January 13, 2020

more of the same

Thank you to everyone who sent well wishes and thought and prayers and love on my last post. It is amazing the support of this community.

Good news is there is nothing *major* going on in my brain. Bad news is that I’m still having the migraines and dizziness issues. Some days it’s much better than other, but so far there’s been no clear trigger that I can pinpoint. Which leaves them to believe it may be hormone related, in which case those migraines are harder to treat because they just don’t respond to conventional treatments as well.  I’m still waiting to do the extensive hormone testing...I was hoping to start this cycle but my period showed up a full week early and I didn’t get the test kit in time, and then it turned out the lab sent me the wrong kit anyway so it wouldn’t have mattered. UGH.

I started an anxiety med a few days ago. Lowest dose for 2 weeks then a bump up. So far I am waiting to see improvements, which can take anywhere from 2-4+ weeks. My new doctor (who is female) is amazing. She is supportive and kind and smart and reassuring. She doesn’t make me feel crazy. She hugs me after each appointment. I trust her when she says anxiety is likely playing a part in all of this. I feel like I have a good person in my corner here.

Through all of this I have had a lot of realizations about myself come to light. I’ve been processing some very deep buried stuff about myself. Nothing that is bad or traumatic, just things I had forgotten or didn’t fully realize about myself. It’s been an interesting several weeks in that regard. I’m trying to shift some focus on how crap I have been feeling and add back in small things that make me really happy and that are just for me. I’m trying to fake it until I make it. I’m trying to let go of things I’ve lost...time I’ve lost feeling bad, things I missed out on and couldn’t enjoy fully. I’m trying to get out there and just breathe the air and just be.

This might sound crazy to a lot of people. But sometimes it feels like a chore to just exist...like getting out of PJs and leaving the house is a struggle. I do it of course, but it causes me so much turmoil some days. I’m forcing myself to do more...sign up for extra shifts on my non-usual work days, get tickets to a show I will go to alone, booked another cheap ticket to go back to Chicago in 6 weeks. Forcing myself to do things that make me feel a little uncomfortable if I think about it too long.

I have also been trying to make peace with the end of my “fertile” years. I’m trying hard to find other things to fill the void, to fill the sadness. But nothing really fills that baby shaped hole in my heart. I am not sure why I am having so much trouble letting go. When I sit and think too long about it it makes me incredibly sad. I am trying to find other things about my body to celebrate, but it is very hard when my body seems to be revolting against itself at every turn. I had to seek help to get my faith and Travis piercings back in  that I had to remove for my MRI (damn tiny tension balls) and so I decided to reclaim something for myself. I got my nipples re-pierced. I had taken them out 6 years ago but I have no reason now not to keep them. It is just one small thing in trying to shift my focus.

I don’t make resolutions but it seems 2020 is going to be a transitional year for me. I don’t know that I am really ready but like life it seems to be happening whether I am ready or not so I may as well try to embrace it and go with the flow as much as I can. Fighting it seems futile.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate so much to this, back two years ago. I started an antianxiety and started seeing a therapist. I didn't relaize how much I was neglecting myself and it's been eye-opening. You're making some great steps for YOU. I hope this year is kind to you as you make this transition. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have a new doctor you can trust. And that you're letting go things that aren't doing any good to hang on to. Just being. That's a great aim. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad and relieved to hear that there isn't anything MAJOR going on with your health, and that you are taking small steps toward feeling better. I'm also so happy you have a doctor that you trust and are comfortable with! That makes a huge difference. I am in awe of you having your nipples pierced. It sounds so painful to me! haha! But kudos to you for having it done again. If that's something that helps you regain a bit of YOU, I say go for it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that there is nothing major wrong with your health and I hope that doctors are able to pinpoint the reason for the issues soon and your meds start to work. Like Amber, nipple piercing sounds painful but I love that you decided to do something for yourself. One day at a time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you are getting answers, that you have a great new doctor, and that this is a transitional year for you. That anxiety is such a tricky bastard -- it's amazing how much physical stuff can come from it. No shame in medication, anxiety is insidious. I'm glad you're doing things for yourself (even if my nipples hurt just thinking about piercings), planning stuff that pushes you a bit, and processing all you've been through. ❤️❤️ Sending you love, this is such hard work.

    ReplyDelete