About Me

Decent wife. Good Enough Mom. (I think, but you’d have to ask my kids.) Sporadic blogger. Crazy person. Chaos Manager. Finder of stray socks and missing shoes. Loves to cook, wishes it wasn’t demanded of her daily. Runs on caffeine.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Anti-New Years

I truly dislike New Years. This goes all the way back many, many, many years ago. I have just never had a great New Years, and in fact have had some pretty spectacularly scrappy ones. This isn’t even something I want to try and change or make right and have a good one...I would just as soon go to bed early and wake up without ever having acknowledged the whole New Years thing. Lest you think I am some sort of New Years grinch, my husband is on the same page as I am. When asked by one of our kids if they could stay up until midnight, my husband said “We just don’t celebrate New Years in this house guys.” He has never had a good NEw Years either, even with me. In fact, our relationship almost didn’t make it last New Years in the very beginning because of our curse on this day. It was also the day I found out my father was dying, in a long line of crappy Dec. 31/Jan 1s in my lifetime, but this isn’t the sole reason I dislike it...I hated it waaaay before that.

This year I have come the closet I ever have and that feels pretty darn...good. While we did get together with friends yesterday afternoon, it was because we were all available about because it was New Years Eve. We were supposed to go to our favorite Chinese Buffet for lunch, but becaus New Years brings us crappy luck, the chef became ill and the couldn’t have the buffet at all. I managed to avoid all New Year’s Eve celebration coverage by watching Netflix, and saw nothing of that stupid ball in stupid, crowded Times Square. I stayed up a tad later than usual, but was asleep long before midnight and the rain kept the neighborhood fireworks from being set off, and I got up and went to work as per usual on this day.

And, as of 9pm on Jan. 1st, I have managed to not receive a SINGLE text wishing me a happy new year, which feels like the biggest blessing of all. I only managed to exchange the sentiment to a few people at work just being polite in passing, but definitely wasn’t the first to mention it. So to me that feels like a victory and the very best way to start my new calendar.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t care for New Years either. It just feels anti climactic. I want hibernate after all the excitement of Christmas, not get back into party mode. (Same reason I don’t make a fuss over my birthday the day after Christmas.)

    Also I don’t like January. It’s dark and cold and far too busy and stressful (when I’m working.) I just want to get through it not set a bunch of fancy goals FFS. Goals can wait till April! Of course now I have my second daughter’s birthday in January, so that’s a bright spot.

    But happy new unfussy unassuming new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Years is a funny thing. It sounds like it is just not a good time for you. And I agree with Torthuil that January is difficult--the hustle and bustle of the holidays are over and it is a time of darkness and exhaustion and a kind of letdown, and all the resolution-making can make you feel like your goals are not where they should be.

    That said, your New Years sounds lovely, and I am all for spending a holiday the way that makes you happy. I did the actual Times Square experience THREE TIMES as a much younger person, and I think I may have been insane because it is crowded, either freezing or wet, there's nowhere to pee, and it's just hours of discomfort. So watching it makes me think, "NO THANK YOU!" I do like to watch the ball drop though. None of the nonsense before it, but the actual countdown makes me happy and nostalgic.

    I hope 2019 is a good year for you!

    ReplyDelete